Adam Sandler Jokes in Independent Spirit Award Speech After Oscars SnubLatest News
“A few weeks back when I was, quote-unquote, snubbed by the Academy it reminded me when I briefly attended high school and was overlooked for the coveted yearbook superlative category ‘best looking,’” Sandler, 54, said in a NSFW speech as his accepted the Best Male Lead award for his role in Uncut Gems. “That accolade was given to a jean jacket-wearing, feather-haired douchebag by the name of Skipper Jenkins.”
“But my classmates did honor me with the allegedly less prestigious designation of ‘best personality,’” he added. “And tonight, as I look around this room, I realize that the Independent Spirit Awards are the ‘best personality’ awards of Hollywood. So, let all those feather-haired douchebag mother–kers get their Oscars tomorrow night, their handsome good looks will fade in time, while our independent personalities will shine on forever.”
Sandler, who got a standing ovation from the audience, was nominated alongside Chris Galust (Give Me Liberty), Kelvin Harrison Jr. (Luce), Matthias Schoenaerts (The Mustang) and Robert Pattinson (The Lighthouse). He deadpanned that his fellow nominees “will now and forever be known as the guys who lost to f—king Adam Sandler.”
He also quipped that independent films “have been a big part of the Adam Sandler ecosystem,” from Billy Madison (“a fearless look into the American education system through the eyes of a privileged sociopath”) to The Waterboy (“my searing exploration of American college foosball and its manipulation of socially challenged athletes”).
“I have tried to tell my truths with a truly independent spirit while also cashing some truly disturbingly large paychecks,” he teased.
In addition to the Saturday Night Live alum’s award, Uncut Gems also won for Best Director (Josh and Benny Safdie) and Best Editing.
Sandler had a hilarious reaction in January to not getting an Academy Award nomination for his performance.
“Bad news: Sandman gets no love from the Academy,” he tweeted on January 13, while referencing The Waterboy, in which Kathy Bates, who scored her own 2020 Oscar nomination, played his mother. “Good news: Sandman can stop wearing suits. Congrats to all my friends who got nominated, especially Mama.”
The American Horror Story star — who is nominated for Best Supporting Actress for Richard Jewell — responded to Sandler’s tweet. “I love you my Bobby Boucher!!! You was robbed!! But Mama loves you!!!” the 71-year-old wrote. “I learned a new urban slang word for you! You da GOAT!! Not the one we eat at home, Son.”
Listen on Spotify to Us Weekly’s Hot Hollywood as each week the editors of Us break down the hottest entertainment news stories!
Written by sbdadmin
Latest News Feeds
- Jana Duggar’s Most Empowering Quotes About Being Single
- The I May Destroy You Soundtrack Has So Many Bangers, It’s Doubling as Our Summer Playlist
- Darius Rucker and Wife Beth Leonard Split After 20 Years of Marriage
- Naya Rivera’s Mom Prays, Joins Search at Lake Where ‘Glee’ Star Went Missing
- The Rumors Are True: The Umbrella Academy’s Emmy Raver-Lampman Has an Amazing Singing Voice
- Khloe Kardashian Says Ex Tristan Thompson Is a ‘Great Dad’ Amid Romance Rumors
- Victoria Beckham ‘Could Not Be Happier’ That Son Brooklyn, Nicola Peltz Are Engaged
- Jojo’s Acoustic “Think About You” Video Has Us Staring Longingly Out Windows Like It’s 2006
- Will Smith: I Didn’t Know If I’d Ever Talk to Jada After August Alsina Fling
- Evolved Love! Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith’s Relationship Timeline