Billy Porter Scores Historic Emmy Win: “The Category Is Love, Y’all, Love!”Latest News
Pose star Billy Porter is a history-making Emmy winner! The first-time Emmy nominee won outstanding lead actor in a drama series for his role as Pray Tell on FX’s Pose, making him the first openly gay black man to win a trophy for best actor in Emmys history.
“The category is love, y’all, love,” the Tony- and Grammy-winning actor said. “I am so overjoyed to have lived long enough to see this day. James Baldwin said, ‘It took many years of vomiting up all the filth I’d been taught about myself, and half-believed, before I was able to walk on the earth as though I had a right to be here.’ I have the right, you have the right, we all have the right!”
Porter went on to thank the other actors nominated in his category – Jason Bateman (Ozark), Sterling K. Brown (This Is Us), Kit Harington (Game of Thrones), Bob Odenkirk (Better Call Saul), and Milo Ventimiglia (This Is Us) – as well as thanked his family, the cast of Pose, and series creator Ryan Murphy. In a similar vein to the other speeches of the night, Porter ended his by sending out a rallying call for Hollywood to continue championing inclusive storytelling.
“We are the people that get to change the molecular structure of the hearts and minds of the people who live on this planet,” he said. “Please don’t ever stop doing that; please don’t ever stop telling the truth.”
Watch his moving speech ahead!
Written by sbdadmin
Latest News Feeds
- Aaron Rodgers Questions God During Religious Chat With Danica Patrick
- Kendall Jenner and Ben Simmons Show PDA While Grocery Shopping
- The Jonas Brothers Try to Write a Love Song After Going Day Drinking With Seth Meyers
- How Meghan Markle Is Adjusting to Her New Life Amid the Royal Family Drama
- Vanessa Hudgens Spotted on Date With Lakers’ Kyle Kuzma After Austin Butler Split
- Uncovering the New “Her” Mystery on This Is Us: Who Is Kevin’s Fiancée in the Flash-Forward?
- Olympian Lolo Jones Says Being Honest About Her Virginity ‘Killed’ Her Dates
- Pamela Anderson’s Dating History: From Tommy Lee to Jon Peters
- Here Are All the Winners of the 2020 SAG Awards!
- Kendall Jenner and Ex Ben Simmons Spend Weekend Together in NYC