Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip’s Seven-Decade Love StoryLatest News
It’s been seven decades since Prince Philip wrote to Queen Elizabeth II to say he had “fallen in love completely and unreservedly” with her, and the couple have been together ever since — through marriage, childbirths, triumphs and trials.
An 8-year-old Elizabeth met Philip in 1934 while attending a wedding for Princess Marina and Prince George. Five years later, the pair reconnected at ages 13 and 18 while they were at the Royal Naval College in Dartmouth. Their second encounter is where they fell in love and began exchanging letters.
After getting engaged in July 1947, they tied the knot that November at Westminster Abbey in London. They would go on to welcome four children: Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward.
“He is someone who doesn’t take easily to compliments but he has, quite simply, been my strength and stay all these years,” the monarch said during a speech on her golden wedding anniversary in 1997. “And I, and his whole family, and this and many other countries owe him a debt greater than he would ever claim, or we shall ever know.”
Elizabeth and Philip have gone on to become the longest-married couple in the history of the British royal family. “[Their love] has withstood the test of time primarily because they love one another very much,” royal expert Christopher Warwick told Vanity Fair in May 2020. “In a private capacity, he has always been deferred to by the queen as head of the family.”
The British historian continued, “It’s a very symbiotic relationship and a very firm partnership, starting off, of course, with these early meetings, this early correspondence — which became a friendship, which became affection, which became love.”
Philip, for his part, has spoken about what he believes has helped create a long-lasting bond between the pair. “I think the main lesson that we have learned is that tolerance is the one essential ingredient of any happy marriage,” he said while celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary in 1997. “It may not be quite so important when things are going well, but it is absolutely vital when the going gets difficult. You can take it from me that the queen has the quality of tolerance in abundance.”
See the timeline below to relive their early romance, their engagement and wedding, and the ups and downs of their marriage.
Written by sbdadmin
Latest News Feeds
- 10 Stevie and David Moments From Schitt’s Creek That Have Our Warmest Regards
- Brooke Burke: A Day in My Life
- Ozzy Osbourne Regrets Cheating on Wife Sharon: ‘I Broke Her Heart’
- 15 Thought-Provoking Books That Have Won the Women’s Prize For Fiction
- Kaley Cuoco and Husband Karl Cook Mourn Death of Their Rescue Dog Petunia
- Stassi Schroeder: 2020 Wasn’t My ‘Favorite Year’ After ‘Pump Rules’ Firing
- Congrats! Matthew Perry and Girlfriend Molly Hurwitz Are Engaged
- 12 Musical Moments From Schitt’s Creek That Will Inspire Your Inner Jazzagal
- 10 Celebrity Couples Who Are High School Sweethearts
- Julianne Hough Says 2021 Is ‘Definitely Looking Up’ After Divorce Filing