Russell Wilson, Sue Bird, and Megan Rapinoe Open the ESPYs With a Speech About Racial InjusticeLatest News
The hosts of the 2020 ESPY Awards are using their voices to speak out against racial injustice. Russell Wilson, Sue Bird, and Megan Rapinoe opened the award show on Sunday night wearing Black Lives Matter T-shirts, acknowledging Black athletes who’ve dedicated their careers to fighting for equality, and explaining that the work is far from over. “Our country’s work is not anywhere close to done. We need justice. We need true leadership. We need a change and we need it now,” Russell said. “Don’t just listen. Help.”
“Colin Kaepernick never shied away,” Sue added. “He knew that discomfort was essential to liberation and that fighting the oppression against Black people is bigger than sports.” The moving speech encouraged athletes, sports fans, and viewers to further their education about the fight for racial equality.
“We can’t let sports try and take us back to the way things were,” Megan said. “Every athlete at every level has the power to show what it looks like to fight for what is right.” Watch Russell, Sue, and Megan’s opening speech above, and bookmark this list of organizations to donate to in support of racial justice.
Written by sbdadmin
Latest News Feeds
- Frank Ocean’s Brother Ryan Breaux Dead at 18 After Car Accident
- Beyoncé Just Dropped the Deluxe Edition of The Gift, and BRB, We’ve Got Some Listening to Do
- Danica Patrick Is Doing ‘Emotional Therapy’ After Aaron Rodgers Split
- Amanda Stanton Is Dating Attorney Oren Agman: Meet Her New Man
- Inside Joey King’s Getaway With ‘Kissing Booth 2’ Costar Taylor Zakhar Perez
- Hot Take: Chessy Is the True Hero of The Parent Trap
- Buzzzz-o-Meter: Stars Are Buzzing About These Vegan Cookies
- Let’s Talk About Klaus Literally Preaching Song Lyrics to His Cult on The Umbrella Academy
- Cody Simpson Shares a Photo With ‘Best Friend’ Miley Cyrus
- Fans Praise Lisa Bonet After Ex Lenny Kravitz Wishes Jason Momoa Happy B-Day