Serena Williams Donates $43,000 Tennis Winnings to Australian Bushfire ReliefLatest News
Serena Williams took out the title at the ATP Auckland Open on Sunday, announcing that she is donating all winnings from the tournament to Australian Bushfire relief. In her speech following the win, Serena congratulated her opponent, fellow American Jessica Pegula, announcing that she would be donating her entire cash prize, $43,000 USD (just over $62,000 AUD).
Serena is the latest in a long line of celebrities who have banded together to support the relief efforts for Australia’s catastrophic bushfire. Since the fires started in September 2019, nearly 11 million hectares of land has been razed, at least 27 people have died, an estimated one billion-plus animals have been killed, and over 2,000 homes have been destroyed.
“I’ve been playing in Australia for over 20 years, so it’s been really hard for me to watch the news,” Serena said during her winner’s speech. “So, I decided at the beginning of the tournament, every match I played, I’d donate a dress, and I’d also donate all my prize money for a great cause.”
This is the first title Serena has won since she took the Australian Open in 2017, when she was pregnant with her daughter, Alexis Olympia.
Written by sbdadmin
Latest News Feeds
- Chrissy Teigen Donates $200,000 to Pay for George Floyd Protesters’ Bail
- Dennis Rodman and Carmen Electra Were an Iconic ’90s Couple, but Their Marriage Didn’t Last
- Julianne Hough Talks ‘Change’ in Kinrgy Class After Brooks Laich Split
- A Tap on the Shoulder From Julia Roberts Is All It Took For James Marsden to Land Hairspray
- Lionel and Nicole Richie Were ‘Weary’ About Sofia’s Romance With Scott Disick
- A Look at Chrishell Stause’s Relationship History: From Matthew Morrison to Justin Hartley
- What Went Wrong? Julianne Hough and Brooks’ Split Was ‘a Long Time Coming’
- Bachelor Nation Reacts to Colton Underwood, Cassie Randolph Split
- The Kardashian-Jenner Family’s Drama-Filled History With ‘Forbes’: A Timeline
- 10 LGBTQ+ Films For Every Mood to Watch During Pride Month