Serena Williams Donates $43,000 Tennis Winnings to Australian Bushfire ReliefLatest News
Serena Williams took out the title at the ATP Auckland Open on Sunday, announcing that she is donating all winnings from the tournament to Australian Bushfire relief. In her speech following the win, Serena congratulated her opponent, fellow American Jessica Pegula, announcing that she would be donating her entire cash prize, $43,000 USD (just over $62,000 AUD).
Serena is the latest in a long line of celebrities who have banded together to support the relief efforts for Australia’s catastrophic bushfire. Since the fires started in September 2019, nearly 11 million hectares of land has been razed, at least 27 people have died, an estimated one billion-plus animals have been killed, and over 2,000 homes have been destroyed.
“I’ve been playing in Australia for over 20 years, so it’s been really hard for me to watch the news,” Serena said during her winner’s speech. “So, I decided at the beginning of the tournament, every match I played, I’d donate a dress, and I’d also donate all my prize money for a great cause.”
This is the first title Serena has won since she took the Australian Open in 2017, when she was pregnant with her daughter, Alexis Olympia.
Written by sbdadmin
Latest News Feeds
- Kristin Cavallari: 25 Things You Don’t Know About Me!
- Hell Yes! Here’s When Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Season 3 Drops on Netflix
- Cara Santana Ditches Engagement Ring After Jesse Metcalfe Split
- Bachelor Nation Remembers Tyler Gwozdz After His Death
- Jesse Metcalfe and Jade Albany Spotted ‘Making Out’ at West Hollywood Pub
- The Jonas Brothers Reveal the Mastermind Behind Their Viral Kardashian-Inspired TikTok
- Channing Tatum and Jessie J Are Back Together 1 Month After Split News
- There’s No Better Way to Say “I Wolf You” Than With These You Valentine’s Day Cards
- Lena Waithe, Wife Alana Mayo Split 2 Months After Announcing Marriage
- Aaron Rodgers Questions God During Religious Chat With Danica Patrick