Serena Williams Donates $43,000 Tennis Winnings to Australian Bushfire ReliefLatest News
Serena Williams took out the title at the ATP Auckland Open on Sunday, announcing that she is donating all winnings from the tournament to Australian Bushfire relief. In her speech following the win, Serena congratulated her opponent, fellow American Jessica Pegula, announcing that she would be donating her entire cash prize, $43,000 USD (just over $62,000 AUD).
Serena is the latest in a long line of celebrities who have banded together to support the relief efforts for Australia’s catastrophic bushfire. Since the fires started in September 2019, nearly 11 million hectares of land has been razed, at least 27 people have died, an estimated one billion-plus animals have been killed, and over 2,000 homes have been destroyed.
“I’ve been playing in Australia for over 20 years, so it’s been really hard for me to watch the news,” Serena said during her winner’s speech. “So, I decided at the beginning of the tournament, every match I played, I’d donate a dress, and I’d also donate all my prize money for a great cause.”
This is the first title Serena has won since she took the Australian Open in 2017, when she was pregnant with her daughter, Alexis Olympia.
Written by sbdadmin
Latest News Feeds
- Meghan King Edmonds Looks Carefree Amid Divorce Drama: Photos
- Who Encouraged Matthew Perry to Join Instagram?
- The Witcher Season 2 Won’t Be on Netflix For a While – Watch These Shows While You Wait
- Bethenny Frankel on ‘RHONY’ Departure: ‘I Wasn’t Leaving Because of Money’
- From Babs to Bernheim! All of Jon Peters’ Wives and Fiancees Over the Years
- Hold Up, The Invisible Man Movie Looks WAY Different Than the Book
- Tristan Thompson Comments on Khloe Kardashian and True’s ‘Great Morning’
- 9 Things You Didn’t Know About Sex Education’s Patricia Allison (aka Ola!)
- Chris Harrison Defends Peter Weber’s ‘Volatile’ Victoria F. Romance
- PDA Alert! Kim Kardashian, Kanye West Share Steamy Elevator Kiss in Paris